The Neighbourhood Houses in Metro Vancouver project is the first comprehensive study on NHs in Vancouver. Informed by both existing literature and practice wisdom of current practitioners, the research team have decided to examine NHs from four different interrelated dimensions.
Dimension 1: Evolution of NH Model
- What roles do NHs play in public policy reform efforts in the evolution of the welfare state?
- Who do NHs support and work with today? How and why have these constituencies changed over time?
- How have NHs adjusted their strategies of community action and advocacy in response to changing populations, local interests, and other dynamics?
- What factors have sustained NHs throughout their history and what are the implications of these factors for place-based pubic policy and programming?
- How do NHs reflect the needs and assets of their changing communities?
- What are the direct and indirect impacts of NH services on local and global social inequities?
- How do NHs foster community capacities, social inclusion, volunteerism, and leadership among individual service users?
- How do government-mandated funds and services facilitate as well as hamper NHs in program development?
- How do NHs facilitate collective action and advocacy to address social inequalities and exclusion?
- How do NHs connect people in the community and nurture collective efficacy?
- What effects do NH community organizing and advocacy initiatives have on the collective efficacy and the sense of community among local residents?
- In what ways do NHs’ community action strategies intersect with their service provision and efforts to inform public policy?
- How does NH’s role as an intermediary between government and community affect its capacity to foster inclusion, collective efficacy, and/or social equity?
- What are the impacts of public funding on the autonomy of NHs as civil society organizations?
- What are the benefits of a NH place-based integrative multiservice model in comparison to other service models in the delivery of government programs?